Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Country Week With Dolly!

I must admit, I was super geeked for this week....I had heard rumors last fall that Dolly may be a guest mentor this season and I got my hopes up...what a perfect fit! When I learned she had a new CD out, I knew it would happen.

Dolly did not disappoint. In many ways, she reminded me of Barry Manilow's mentorship in Season 3....a true artist and national treasure who found ways to support each contestant without being fake or overly gratuitous. I absolutely love the spot that Entertainment Weekly did on Dolly this week and it made me appreciate her genius even more! Do check it out.

On to tonight's show. I absolutely loved it. Dolly was a gracious and lovely mentor, and provided a deep and beautiful songbook from which to choose, and I think the Idols did a good job selecting songs that fit each one of them, which can't be said of every country theme week or certainly of every mentor week. She made it easy! After all, the lady (as you saw in the opening montage) has been in the biz for 40 years , written over 3,000 songs, had 110 singles, 25 of them #1 hits, and has sold over 100,000,000 albums worldwide, in case you missed that :)

Since tonight's group is an 'even' 9, we've got a Top 3, a Middle 3 and a Bottom 3 quite naturally. While I must preface this write up by saying that I loved tonight's show a lot, someone MUST go....and with that in mind....

We'll start with my (personal) bottom three. In order of performance, Ramiele has met her match, who are the other 8 contestants. What I can't figure out is why she is still so popular!Idolblog's poll has her coming in third behind the two Davids! I know she is cute and all, and can actually sing okay, in a normal world....but stacked against this season's competition, she is outsung, and tonight was no different. I really didn't like that Catholic schoolgirl jumper and her "cruise ship performance"(see poll).

While I thought the song was a good choice for her, I'm hoping KLC's "Coat of Many Colors" isn't the Coat of Many Votes, because while country week suited her well, I still think KLC is still a weak link. Syesha may have fared better in Idols past...her big box voice and good looks would have carried her far enough in the competition, but against this season's fresh and original takes on classics (with Jason and Brooke leading the way), she pales in comparison. It's simply not enough to belt out Whitney and do it well anymore.

In the middle ground for me tonight were, in order of performance: Brooke, Jason and David A. Brooke was entirely likable and I was surprised to see her in the first spot, thought her choice of song was good and her performace was okay....but I had to agree with Simon that her delivery lacked emotion and that the band didn't seem cohesive. Jason's "Traveling Through" was a beautiful song that I hadn't heard and want to hear again after his performance....I'll admit that it didn't sound much different than his other performances, but it still sounded good!! People!!! I hope you voted!! Finally, David A. is not about to be eliminated, on this performance or any other, but I had to put him in my middle category because, goshdarnit, it was cheesy for me. I get that he felt the song and that's what made it work...but....pass the corn chips.

Tops tonight were for me, in order of performance: David Cook, Carly and Michael Johns. First of all, the Damage Control IDOL (all caps) did in response to the press about David Cook's lifting of other arrangements was spot on. Shows they are reading the blogs/press. I thought David's performance of "Little Sparrow" was pretty good...not my fav, but he done good. Like the new look (tall forehead combover). Secondly, Carly is looking more and more beautiful each week. She had massive eyeliner on tonight (don't try this at home!) and was sporting a great new hairdo. I just LOVED her performance of "Here You Come Again" but wondered about Simon's comment that she needed wardrobe help...what was that really about? I think he might have been suggesting that she needs to cover the 'toos!

Finally, I am thrilled to say I finally got to hear Michael John's vocals, and I loved them! For the first time for me, they were not overpowered by instruments or staging or lighting....I had found myself wondering, why is this guy even in the Top 10? Tonight should show you. We finally got to hear his voice, and it's great. What a power note he hit!

So favorites tonight for me were Carly and Michael....we'll see how America voted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Idolmama, perhaps I am becoming the Idolcurmudge, but I tended to agree with Simon all the way through this show. Yes, a number of the songs did showcase vocal talent, but the performances were mostly forgettable and I cannot think of one constructive comment made by Dolly. In any event, for those keeping score, I think David Cook is still the one to beat but that Syesha gave the best vocal last night. It was the one moment when even this curmudge managed to shed a tear.

Anonymous said...

THIS! is Ah-MMM-ERRRiCAN IDOOOOOL! and no april fools Dolly is the bomb and i agree with the mama that she is a national treasure.... Now I don't know about you but every time Paula spoke lst night I wanted to slap myself and call me Sally... I mean it's really getting painful to hear her jibberish! DANG it! I used to think Simon was the bad guy here, but she is pure torture to listen to. Beyond that, honestly, I don't think anyone had a particularly good night. i think the pressure must be just overwhelming and it felt like everyone was just keeping their head above water.. except Ramielle(sp?)... Seems to me she kind of fell of the "cruise ship" and about drowned last night. DH

Idolmama said...

Thanks much for your insightful comments ...was Dolly supposed to be constructive? Syesha is in trouble...pull out your tissues, tonight, 'case KLC hits the bottom 3 again, Dear Friend!

Anonymous said...

No trouble for Syesha last night, and only tears of joy from me now that Ramiele got the boot!