Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Beatles Revisited with the Top 11

The Beatles Part II left me trying to get by with a little help from my top 11 friends, but not feeling much love. I'm not sure we should have reprised the Lennon - McCartney et al song book tonight (clearly neither did a very Sourpuss Simon). I thought several contestants used the Beatles Reprise week to improve on performances from last week, several did better the first time around, while others are going to have to fight for that last spot on the tour this summer.

Those who improved on last week's performances are Kristy, David A., Michael Johns and Syesha. Kristy (AKA Miss Musical Wallpaper) may have saved herself from elimination with her performance of "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away". Randy thought it was okay, Paula said she takes her "someplace" (the home decorating store perhaps?), but Simon told her she is "not a good performer"...OUCH...I think she might have done better enough than last week to have gained some new fans. I can't believe she actually admitted that "this Beatles thing is kinda new to me"...whoops. Anyone have a spray bottle of vinegar handy?

David A.'s rendition of "The Long and Winding Road" was competent, safe and predictable. Even though Simon said he was "amazing", I'm still bothered by the way he licks his lips every two seconds, you too?!

Michael and Syesha are both good performers, but I'm not sold on either. Michael still hasn't delivered the vocal goods we've waited for. Randy even talked tonight about the "big old voice [we heard when we first saw you]" and mentioned that we're still waiting to hear it again. I agree that the song was just too big to be stripped down to 90 seconds, and I continue to think he's overrated. Syesha was hardly recognizable with her straight hair... she was definitely working the cleavage angle. Randy thought it was a good performance, Paula thought it was "great to see how you change" and Simon thought it was her best so far ....but I still don't think she is connecting. Did this performance save her from the Bottom Three on Wednesday? Not sure.

Those who didn't benefit from Beatles Part Deux include Brooke and Jason. Brooke was all sunny in her yellow dress but the judges didn't really feel it...I was distracted by her flower girl twirl. I also think someone should pull her aside and tell her that the best thing to do when the judges give you negative feedback is to stand there and smile, a small nod will do....but she talked over the judges during the comments and that was poor taste.

I predict that Jason won't break any iTunes download records with his "Michelle", even though I thought his French accent was pretty good. He's so charming that I was pulled into the song even though it didn't soar to last week's heights.

Amanda, Chikezie and Ramiele are still in familiar territory with nothing new to bring, which may hurt them, and soon. Amanda did her screachy rock and roll thing with "Back in the USSR" (a good choice for her, I thought) but I just don't know how much staying power she really has.....are we seeing all she can do? We may never get the chance to find out. Chikezie's breakout performance last week was not matched by this week's country take on Paul McCartney's "I've Just Seen A Face", and Ramiele should have known better than to wear that hat, it was so awful. Why, oh why would they give her the pimp spot! As I'm writing this, I can't even recall which song she sang....which isn't good.

So who gets All My Lovin' this week? Carly and David Cook. First off, I'm not saying I've gone completely over to the Carly Side, but this was the first performance from her that I actually really, really enjoyed....it was fantastic! I am only slightly bothered by her latest tattoo, a number seven, last night's number to call for her (Ryan asked what she would have done if they'd changed the performance order at the last minute?) to which she explained it was also for Season 7. HHMmm.........

And so does David's "Day Tripper"...even though it was already done this way by The White Stripes, I loved it and the Peter Frampton-esque voice box thing was kinda cool, if only for it's originality (that got Blake Lewis pretty far in this competition). I think he's really growing on me!

So who do you think will go home? I'm in a five-way tie for Kristy Lee, Chikezie, Amanda, Ramiele and Michael Johns....which isn't very helpful, I know!

No comments: