Thursday, March 20, 2008

Top Ten Results

Guess we won't be rocking with Amanda on tour this summer. Can't say I'm THAT surprised, but what did surprise me was Kristy's journey to the edge of Idol Elimination only to be pulled back AGAIN! I tell ya, she's got more lives that an alley cat....a longer shelf life than Spam....I can only hope she knocks our socks off next week.

To Amanda: You done good! Best of luck to you.

I heard a collective GASP across the country when Carly Smithson was named to be in this week's Bottom Three....even though I've not been a big fan (last night was my fav) I found myself finally sticking up for her -- you can't TELL ME that she's not the best female vocalist up there. But as we all know, Idol is not just a singing contest.....personality, looks, stage presence, song choice all factor in, and Carly is a work in progress in some of those areas.

Perplexing questions: why did Michael have his best vocal yet during the cheesy group number? Why haven't Elliot and Fantasia done a duet yet? And why would Fox subject us to the memory of the Kiss Scene from Season 2?! Yuck! I started burping up strawberries just thinking of it.

Props tonight go to Kellie "Pick Me" Pickler. Those of you who know me know I'm not a fan. I buy almost all of the Idol CD offerings, and despite the critical acclaim and Billboard success of her debut CD (along with my affection for country music), I still couldn't buy it. Memories of her Idol run were still all too fresh. I thought the Naughty Minx was overrated and just too....too.....too.....well, her recent stint on Fifth Grader? suggests what I'm getting at. I need more from my Idols than just good looks, Nebraska State Fair vocals and witty comebacks to Simon.

She is certainly more than that after what she brought us last night. I eat my words. Kellie has grown in more ways than one, sure, but she showed the Idols how to do an interview, how to dress for success, and how to perform. She worked the stage, the audience, the judges, and the contestants with a flair that impressed. I really enjoyed it, and might add Pickler to my CD collection after all.

Did anyone else see Chicken Little (AKA Kevin Covais) in the audience last night? Who else is THRILLED to hear confirmation that Dolly will be a celebrity mentor this season? and who else is kinda sad that Amanda won't get to do a Mariah Carey number.....her version of "Vision of Love", for example, would have been interesting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Ballads are boring. I have a minute and a half to show America what they would see if they bought a ticket to my show." Having declared that what we have been seeing is all that we can expect to get, America (thankfully) said "no thanks" to Amanda. Her handful of minute and a half performances have exhausted her 15 minutes of fame, and she can now go back to selling tickets at her local headbanging "No Ballads Bar." In the meantime, yesterday's group performance confirmed for me that Kristy has the second best voice among the women on the show. If only she could pick the right song and gain some stage presence, and if only the judges would not so unfairly telegraph that they want her out (for reasons which escape me given the quality of her voice and the fact that Ramiele is far more bland, boring and unimaginative), she could go far. Now that she made it to the Top 10, mark my words, Kristy just may be the next Kellie Pickler.