Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Top 10 Mostly Rock the 80's

In the spirit of the evening, I will offer my take on tonight's show in 80's lingo, since the vast majority had birth years in this decade....see if you recognize the television shows from which these phrases come (key at bottom), followed by the top 10 contestant which most embodies this spirit.

"Big bucks, big bucks, no whammies!" (Syesha). Girl can sing, but the connection still isn't there. My BIL said that she is "getting better every week", and I agree, but I think Simon might be right that she might be bumping up against the limits of her voice. Emotionally, she still presents as aloof and untouchable.

"Cut, it, out". Chikezie is a solid R & B singer, there is no question. The piece tonight was endearing, his parents are fabulous. While I love Chikezie's voice, I don't see a future for him in this competition.

"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear!" (Ramiele). Why, oh why did you choose the song that Carrie Underwood had her breakout performance with in Season 4....tough, tough act to follow. Not to mention the fact that the vocally superior Carly Smithson already did it, too, this very season. Too big of a song for you, my dear, and you are in danger this week of a B3 spot! Woof!

"The plane, the plane!" (Kristy Lee Cook). Like Simon said, points to KLC for song choice. Given how many Idols have come from the South, kudos to KLC for choosing a song certain to garner lots of Southern dial-ins....the Patriotic vote is strong. B3x4? Me thinks not.

"Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars!" (Jason). I love Jason. I will forever be a fan, and tonight's version of one of my favorite Sting songs didn't change that at all. I love, love, love the song, thought his delivery was tender and heartfelt and thought the judges were waaaaayy too critical. Jason, you are a star! Don't pay attention to them.

"Shaazzz Bot!" David A. told us he was missing his Prom (was that his to-be date in the audience? Getting to attend the Idol show isn't a bad consolation prize!) and maybe that was too big a distraction tonight...Attn. Fox: David A. needs a light show! I agree with Simon about the theme park performance....pretty boring if you ask me, and again, too serious and worldly of a song.

"Sit, Ubu, sit! Good dog." Brooke had "star quality"tonight, there is no question. Not one of my favorite performances, but a solid one for her.

"I pity the fool!" (Micheal Johns). Simon finally discovered Michael's star potential, and Randy said that Micheal finally believed in himself, and it showed. I thought it was terrific, and showed me a little more of what he might be capable of. I still wouldn't buy a concert ticket of his, but I might think about it.

"Here's the first item up for bids." Carly may very well be the hardest working lady on Idol this season. A Virgo (love that! :), and named after Carly Simon (wow, cool story), Carly went and chose a song I really don't like all that much, and one that has been done before, most notably by Jessica Sierra in season 4. Is she really a rocker? To quote Danny Noriega: "ish". The judges didn't like it at all, but we did get to see the husband's Full Monty (tattooed self in the audience, that is).

"Come on Down!" David Cook hit a home run tonight. If there was any question as to whether he could win AI7, those questions were put to rest tonight. That was an amazing performance of the most perfect song from 1982 (were there others?) I only hope the other Micheal was watching.

Answers:
Press Your Luck ("Big bucks, big bucks, no whammies!")
Full House ("Cut, it, out)
Cheers ("It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear")
Fantasy Island ("Da Plane, da plane!")
American Top 40 with Casey Kasem ("Keep your feet on the ground and keep reacing for the stars")
Mork and Mindy ("Shazzzzz Bot!")
Family Ties ("Sit, Ubu, sit! Good dog.")
Mr. T. ("I pity the fool!")
The Price is Right ("Here's the first item up for bids")
The Price is Right ( "Come on down!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great re-cap Idolmama! (Must admit I did need to refer to the key.) First things first.. David Cook's stage presence during that amazing rendition of Billy Jean was over the top. He is truly a gifted musician/performer. My favorite all-time performance (in my 2 short seasons of watching), and he should take the prize. Either way, he'll be a star, and I *would* buy his concert ticket -- as long a Idolmama invites me to go with her :)
And wow to Jason.. LOVED it! Also one of my fav Sting songs... though the audience clapping throughout the e n t i r e song was painful. Was NOT the right song for a clap-along. Big Jason fan.
I'm completely bored with David A.. and although most of the others did just fine, for me, they paled in comparison to the real stars of the show.

Anonymous said...

Great re-cap, but I must call out Idolmama on one thing: Jason bombed last night (and I don't mean in the Randy Jackson "you da bomb" sense). Worst performance of the night. No energy. No creativity. He did remind me how much I love the song, but also how much I wanted to turn him off and put on the real thing. And, in fact, he came across as not caring about even being in the competition during his post-game with Ryan and the judges. His attitude tells me that his feet are not on the ground, and his performance shows that he is not reaching for the stars. As Simon would say, "sorry." But given the apparent unconditional love of his fan base, I don't expect to see him go, but also would not be surprised if he slipped into the bottom three tonight.

Anonymous said...

DH here. and of course I am a bigger fan of idolmama than anyone on the show... even so my little two cents follow. David Cook gave one of the best ai performances ever (topping Blake's u give luv a bad name and close to Fantasia's final perofrmance). I think Jason is da bomb in the good way. he is an artist in the most pure sense of the word and I hope he continues to grow as just that. "Come on down!" idolmama!