Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Top Twelve Take the Stage


I LOVED this night....loved the new stage, new graphics, new opening, new set, new/old Beatles...good for Fox. Still not sure why we'll be in a new theater for the Finale...was the old one too small? too old? Imissed that....a dear friend just visited the Kodak Theater last month and not being from around there, and not being very well-traveled in those parts, I was surprised when he told me that it was actually in a seedy part of town....maybe that has something to do with it?


Remember that as familiar as we are with these 12 people right now, the 11th and 12th spots typically fade into obscurity, I'm sorry to say....do you recall last year's 11 and 12, let alone season's past?


There were three performances that stood out for me tonight, and given that it was Beatles night, that says a lot. Hard to mess with the classics for sure, and I was really waiting to see how they did this. Jason, David Cook and Brooke showed me how. Jason: "Howdy y'all"! He thinks this whole American Idol thing is "pretty cool" and I think he's pretty great... his rendition of "If I Fell" (my favorite Beatles of all time!!!) was amazing.....even though the judges didn't really think it was all that ...Randy said he liked, but didn't love it; Paula said that she feels that America will get his emotional connection to the song, and Simon said it was boring and not as special as last week. I thought it was way special and showed an artistry that Idol should be looking for!


David Cook's rendition of "Eleanor Rigby" once again was right on tonight. Even though he is often compared with Chris Daughtry musically, he must be distinguished by his personality. That is to say, David has one! His whole bartending piece showed him as Everyman, which is important in this competition. I thought his vocals were GREAT tonight. I was worried when the song started that I would be bored, but I wasn't. Indeed, this is more than a one-horse race! He got the "Brilliant!" comment from Simon, which is pretty much the Brit's highest praise.


And Brooke White once again surprised me.....I can't say I even thought she should be in the Top 24, but week after week she proves me wrong. I cringed when I heard her announce her song choice ("Let it Be") but she worked it out and it was amazingly folksy-fresh. She's growing on me, and I think she will have a spot in the top 6 for sure and maybe beyond. Simon called it a brilliant choice of song and one of the best of the night.


That being said, at the other end of tonight's spectrum are Kristy Lee Cook and David Hernandez. They both can sing, and have the good looks and stage presence , but they fall short up against a very, very deep top 12. Kristy Lee's country take on "Eight Days a Week" was in Simon's word horrendous, I could hardly sit through it. I wanted to like it, really I did! Even Paula was forced to say she didn't enjoy it, and she NEVER says that. I'm sorry for Kristy because making the Top 10 and going on tour would have been fabulous fun.


David H., too, fell short of tonight's mark....great song ("I Saw Her Standing There") but too much wedding singer with really no artistry...and what's that about his former job being a pizza server? Isn't he forgetting something? Paula said he "kinda overdid it"and Simon thought it was corny verging on desperate. Those aren't Top 10 words, David, in case you are still wondering.


I would add to the Maybe in Jeopardy group for tonight Amanda and Chikezie. Even though Amanda's take on "You Can't Do That" was rockin' and I loved it, and she actually looked like she might finally be enjoying herself, I still think she is a polarizing contestant, and she may not have the votes to stick around. Likewise, I really like Chikezie and thought his performance of "She's a Woman"tore it up, and the judges liked it (Ryan clearly did), I was sitting in a room watching with my SIL who just doesn't like him, "hasn't from the start", and there may be way more of her than me out there!


Which leaves the middle of the pack: Syesha, Ramiele, Carly, Michael and David A. I would call them all good but boring tonight. I know, I know....you will disagree. But I saw no artistry from any of them, unlike my Top 3 tonight. They are all great singers and had good performances, and three of them are shoe-ins for the Top 6. Syesha "I'm a working actress" (really? you hadn't mentioned that before...) looked fabulous as always but was just a'iight for me. Ramiele was downright boring and her dress was way distracting and not flattering at all. Even though Simon said she was forgettable, I think her fan based is strong enough to carry her into the Top 10. Carly gets prettier every week, which helps, and is clearly an good singer, but again, I'm just not connecting with her, she's not knocking me off my chair on the way to the phone to dial her numbers. And "Come Together" is my least-fav song of the night. I think Simon's comparison to Kelly Clarkson was waaaaayyyy off.


For the middle guys, Michael's "Across the Universe" was good...the judges are too kind to him, I think...how much longer are we going to wait on this guy? And the bigger they are, the harder they fall.....The Little David That Could had an off night. It was bound to happen. But don't expect to see him going home any time soon!


What did you think? Are Michael and Ramiele in danger? Do you like the new stage? And was Ryan in rare form, or WHAT?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The biggest standout of the night was Paula, who for once in all the years I have watched Idol provided honest and constructive criticism. The show is so much better when each judge has something of substance to say. Randy has been better all season and Simon is Simon. As for the contestants, I have always loved Brooke White. Her performances are soulful and provoke emotion. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Jason. I just have not connected with him and found his use of the guitar last night distracting. David Cook stood out as number 1 last night. I appreciate his artistry. I think he has the creativity of Blake Lewis but more vocal talent and traditional rock stage presence. Is he the perfect combination of Blake and Daughtry: a creative and artistic rock star? I think Chikezie came in as number 2 last night and should be safe. I was totally entertained by his rendition. I remain a Kristy fan. I thought Randy's assessment was right on: half of me loved it, the other half not. Her voice is great, but was a little weak to match all of the instrumentation going on. I do appreciate her attempt to be creative. And while I applaud Paula for being honest, her brutal honesty in this case may sink Kristy's ship, which is a shame. Because the two people that need to go are Ramiele and Amanda, for quite different reasons. Ramiele has a very sweet voice, but she is incredibly boring and offers no presence or artistry. On the other hand, Amanda has presence and some artistry, but I just don't think her vocals are all that good (and it is a singing competition after all). That's my take on one of the better shows in awhile, for what it's worth. Thanks for letting me play!

Idolmama said...

Dang, dear friend...why don't you tell us what you REALLY think! And take your time :)