Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Top Eight Gals Go 80's On Us

We heard covers tonight from Queen, Celine Dion, Pat Benatar (but not the tune I thought), Joan Jett, Journey, Phil Collins and Whitney (times two). A veritable 80's feast! My review of the guy's show was pretty dismal compared to other bloggers/recappers out there, so I'm hesitant to comment tonight....I don't think it was a write-home-about show, but even so, I did have trouble picking which two ladies deserve to go home! I think that the bottom spot is fairly obvious, but the other is really up for grabs!

Obvious low point for me tonight was Kady Malloy. It's not because I hold a grudge against her for taking tonight's rightful Top 8 spot from Alaina Whittaker (what would she have sang this week? We'll never know....) but I thought her vocals were a mess. I was astounded when she got praise from all 3 judges, including Simon, who's critique was simply that she still had no personality. I still think she has no vocals! It was all over the place for me.

Best performance tonight for me was Brooke. She has a Jason Castro-esque quality, that of a true artist who isn't just singing a song well, but transcends the lyrics and melody to put something "new" together. If that makes any sense. She's safe. I also really, really liked Amanda tonight, and thought hers was the best match tonight of singer + song. Even if she goes home tomorrow, I'm so glad she stuck around this week to delight us with that Joan Jett classic. I just don't know if she can recover from her flirtatious dance with the bottom two, and let's face it: if she's enjoying herself at all, she sure has a funny way of showing it!

I'm still not on the Carly Crusade.....although I will say that she really looked pretty tonight! Not sure if it was the hair color, the lipstick, the eye makeup, her Mom being there....but she was glowing. Never heard the song before, so again...no connection for me, but proficiently sung.

In what Simon called the "good but predictable" category tonight were Asia'h, Ramiele, and Syesha. Asia'hs (or is it Asia'h's?) cover of Whitney was kind of wedding singer to me, she is adorable but just a'iight tonight. Ramiele was good but nothing special. And I was half expecting Syesha to open her dialogue about her most embarassing moment by talking about something that happened at one of her model/actress photo shoots....and she didn't....but still, just nothing there for me. Good, but empty.

Which leaves Miss Kristy Lee. She looks SO much like Felicity, it sort of freaks me out. Gorgeous girl, I want her to be good....but.....no. The country thing sorta helped, but I wonder if it's enough to get her through next week. Danger, Will Robinson! And she the only one ponying up to the red lozenge dispenser backstage?!

Will your favorite make the Top 12? Is Paula crazy, or what!? And is there too much judge banter going on, at the expense of the show?

2 comments:

Idolmama said...

checking this!

Anonymous said...

Phew -- your internet is back! Your NEW BFF in the Philippines was watching out for you! Did you forget, Idolmama, that your OLD BFF offered to take a dictation and post for you when your internet was down? Now THAT'S a BFF.
None of the gals are doing much for me.. Brooke stood out, as you said. But that's okay, because Paula is enough entertainment on her own!