Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Top Eight Guys Perform

After a scary night that included NO INTERNET ACCESS I am happy to report that I'm back. Special Shout-Out to my new BFF in the Philippines who reconnected me at 11:30pm CST on Tuesday, so I didn't disappoint the fans! You're terrific. Just hoping you can watch AI one day soon without having to resort to YouTube ! Go Ramiele! But I have to keep this short since after all that, it's past my bedtime :)

I thought tonight was pretty disappointing overall. I luv the 80's ....but the guys didn't deliver....I will say a few words about each, starting with my favorites:

Wow! AI7 has a "live one" as Randy Jackson calls it.. .you mean to tell me that Jason Castro is undiscovered? That he has actually been singing and playing that guitar in his bedroom/basement until now? I don't believe it....the guy is a major undiscovered talent...his take on "Hallelujah" was inspiring, to say the least. Although he needs a little spit and polish, David A, watch your back!

I also LOVED David Cook. His version of "Hello" had me at hello. I mean, c'mon....who'd have thought you could rock out Lionel Richie????

My third favorite (and I won't win points for this one) was Chikezie. Loved that soulful, Luther-Vandross-esque tone to his voice and the confidence. I totally disagreed with Simon, who said it was "harsh"and "cabaret"....I liked it and thought it was his best yet.

In the middle for me tonight were David A., Michael Johns and David H. First off, David Archuleta's performance of the Phil Collins classic "Another Day in Paradise" was great....loved it....and I thought his outfit was inittowinit, but my only feedback to him is to stop referencing previous performances....quit reminding everyone that you are a professional...it won't win you votes. Stay humble and as unpolished as possible (tough for you).

Michael Johns a) looks the part, b) dresses the part, and c) has that foreign accent that automatically makes me swoon even though he could be talking complete jibberish. Unfortunately, I thought tonight's classic "(Don't You) Forget About Me" was forgettable. Course, he'll stick around next week, but I suddenly don't know if he's got the stuff to win this thing.

David H. came out and sang the classic Celine Dion/Meatloaf tune "It's All Coming Back To Me Now", and while his conviction was clear, I just couldn't concentrate. I just can't look at him the same way now after news surfaced today that he was a male stripper in Arizona before auditioning for Idol. I wish him the best, but he just lost a few Idolmama points. We'll see what America thinks.

My bottom? Danny and Luke. Liked the purple flair actually, but Danny Noriega was TMTH for me. He dressed the part but his take on Soft Cell's famous "Tainted Love" was weak. Likewise, Luke's vocal chops were a major problem (although I thought it was his best so far), but honestly, his outfit didn't help...it's the biggest job interview of your life and you wear a pair of blue jeans, a t-shirt and tennis shoes??!!? I'll be awake on Thursday when you go go....

There are just 6 spots among tonight's 8 contenders...who will American vote for? And which gal will sing the inevitable "Hit Me With Your Best Shot?!" Stay tuned...

No comments: